A splendid creamy dish with the flavors of mustard and mushrooms that ultimately gives out an appetizing shade of pale golden brown, this is what makes Beef Stroganoff a special flavourism dish.
Satisfy your craving and fill your senses with Beef Stroganoff, your go to dish if you are looking for your favorite comfort dish.
A classical Russian dish that first emerged in the mid 19th century, Beef Stroganoff became well known all over the globe since then and started a revolution in all different cuisines. Different countries started adding their own special touch to the original recipe, like adding different types of mushrooms for instance. The sauce of the dish is basically made out of a cooked mixture of flour and butter. Additionally, mustard and sour cream are added to the mixture although some European countries, like Poland, Russia and Ukraine, like to use heavy cream on the dish instead of using the mustard in the sauce. They prefer to have the sauce with a creamier consistency.
One essential secret to achieve the tender delicious taste and texture is cutting the proper piece of meat. If you are wondering what are the best ways to serve a delicious Beef Stroganoff dish, read on to uncover the best mouth-watering recipe.
- Steak: The most common piece if steak used is theflank steak, however any stir-fry cut of steak may also be used. It's important slice the steak into thin slices against the grain in order to come out nice and tender. Some may also use beef for this recipe and it will also be fine.
- Egg Noodles: The beef Stroganoff is served over different kinds of noodles, most commonly egg noodles, polenta or rice. This mix makes this dish exceptionally delicious.
- Sauce: The special sauce used for the classic beef Stroganoff is made up from garlic, onions, butter and beef stock. Heavy cream may also be added for the creamy texture.
- Mushrooms: Mushrooms come in different varieties and any combination of them fits in the recipe.
- Garnishes: A little bit of chopped up parsley on top is a great finish for the dish with a sprinkle of black pepper.
With our ingredients already set, we now present the best way to make a classic Beef Stroganoff that is delicious, creamy and easy to make in 30 minutes. This recipe of mushroom and garlic creamy sauce can be served with noodles, rice or polenta according to your own liking.
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1 ½ pound sirloin roast, or beef stock
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp hot paprika
- 1 tbsp oil (preferably olive oil)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ pound button mushrooms, washed and cut into quarters
- 2 small sliced shallots
- 12 ounces of egg noodles
- 1 cup heavy cream or crème fraîche
- 1 ½ tbsp Dijon mustard
- Chopped fresh parsley
STEP 1: COOK THE NOODLES:
First step is to boil water in order to cook the pasta, let the egg noodles cook in a large pot full of salted water according to the instructions on the package and drain the water when cooked.
STEP 2: SAUTESÉ THE STEAK
: Melt the butter in a big frying pan. Put in the chopped onion and the mushrooms and let them cook until they turn soft. Add the mustard into the mixture letting it coat the onion and mushrooms. Place the stock in the pan and leave it to boil gently till it reduces the liquid
- STEP 3: SAUTÉ THE VEGGIES:
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter into another pan. Add the onions to the melted butter and then add the garlic and start stirring once a while.
- STEP 4: HEATING THE OIL:
- Add the vegetable oil in a large frying pan to heat. When you find that it's hot enough, place the strips of steak or beef. Fry the beef and stir it from side to side until all its sides turn brown. This whole process should not take more than one minute.
STEP 5: SERVING
: Stir the flour consistently with the juices alone at the side of the pan. On low heat, start stirring in the mustard. Cover the pan and let it cook for 1 hour and make sure the meat is tender. Right before you serve, stir in the mushrooms and heavy cream. Heat it a little bit then season with salt and pepper.