Syria is the land of delicious food, people from all over the world favor Syrian foods whether it is their desserts or main dishes. One active ingredient that can be found in Syrian cuisines is their Syrian Virgin Olive Oil that adds a distinctive taste and an unmatched flavor to their dishes. In this article we will be talking about a main dish cooked with Syrian Olive Oil that you will never stop making!
The first recipe we’ll be making is Baharat Chicken, which is a popular dish in Syria distinguished by its spice mix and Syrian olive oil. It is a unique roasted chicken that is found in every Middle Eastern household, usually cooked next to rice. This recipe is rich in flavor and will have you coming back for seconds. The following recipe is enough to serve 5 people at least, a whole family set.
Let’s start with listing the ingredients for Baharat Chicken:
- 1 ½ Tbsp of paprika
- 1 Tbsp of cumin
- 1 Tbsp of black pepper (grounded)
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- ¼ cups of basmati rice (brown)
- ¼ cup of raw cashews
- 2 Tsp of Syrian Olive Oil
- ¼ cups of pistachios (raw)
- 1 diced shallot
- ½ cups of raisins
- ¼ cup of almonds (raw)
- ¾ Tbsp of coriander (grounded)
- ¾ Tbsp of dried limes
- ½ Tbsp of sumac powder
- ¼ Tbsp of cinnamon (grounded)
- ½ Tbsp of ground cloves
- ¼ Tbsp of ground nutmeg
- 5 crushed green cardamom pods
- 2 crushed black cardamom pods
- ½ a bundle of fresh cilantro
- 2 chicken thighs, 2 chicken legs and one chicken breast
- The juice of half a lemon
- First thing you need to do is prepare your spice mixture. Combine the paprika, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, sumac, dried limes, cloves, coriander, nutmeg and the cardamon together. Mix them well until they are fully incorporated into each other.
- The next step is to marinate your chicken pieces. Add the cilantro, olive oil and lemon juice in a plastic seal bag with one tablespoon of the mixed spices.
- Put the chicken in the plastic bag and allow it to be fully covered by shaking it well. Let it marinate in the fridge for up to four hours.
- While the chicken marinates, start preparing the rice. Fill up a large bowl with fresh water and place your basmati rice inside. Keep it soaked for about an hour then rinse and drain.
- Next step is to add the nuts and raisins to the rice, mixing in one tablespoon of the Baharat mixture. Mix everything thoroughly and set it aside.
- Turn on the oven to preheat it on 190 Degrees Celsius
- Heat Two Tablespoons of Syrian Olive oil in a tagine, add the shallot to it and cook it until it is soft for about a few minutes.
- Proceed to add rice to the tajine and toss inside a few times.
- Take out the marinated chicken from the fridge and pour it on the rice in the tagine. Put the chicken broth inside in the plastic back and stir then pour it on the chicken and rice.
- Bake the tagine in the preheated oven for about an hour and 15 minutes. Keep it in the oven until the chicken is fully cooked (it is not red on the inside) and the juices are fully absorbed.
- Serve as one of the most delicious meals with Syrian Olive Oil from famous Syrian Cuisines.
- Enjoy with your favorite drink and family!
Baharat Chicken is a very healthy recipe combining both carbohydrates and protein to fill up your body with all the essential nutrients and benefits to give you enough energy to face the day. It is the ideal meal for children and adults, saturated with spices and strong flavors that will fill up your home with an appetizing scent and renew your appetite. A recipe that will take you to the beautiful land of Syria, taste their food and feel their vibes.
In order to start with your recipe you will need to gather all the ingredients. It can be a hassle if you don’t know where to look. We have just the right place, take a quick tour on our website and you’ll find everything you need. Nahda Grocery Store sells premium Syrian Olive Oil at the highest quality and competitive prices, a Syrian Olive Oil straight from the land of Syria. All you have to do is login on the website, browse the ingredients, add to your cart, choose a payment method and watch it deliver straight to your doorstep.
Start cooking now and expand your recipe collection!