What is Halloumi Cheese?
The first question that could come to mind when someone mentions halloumi cheese is what halloumi is and what does it mean to begin with. Well, if you are foreign to Cyprus islands most famous cheese, then you are definitely in the right place. Halloumi cheese is made of semi-hard pasteurized sheep and goat milk. Halloumi is a type of an unripen white cheese with a slightly firm and creamy texture. Halloumi is traditionally wrapped in fresh mint leaves and stored in its natural juices when it is raw. However, the halloumi cheese that is now available commercially has an added mint flavor instead of actual fresh mint.
Where to find Halloumi cheese
If you are looking for premium quality halloumi cheese near you, then you are of luck, because El-Nahda store in Dubai provides its customers with Fresh Halloumi Cheese with just a tap of a finger. Fresh Halloumi Cheese is a great cheese to have on hand for when you want to make an easy meal. It can be melted in a pan, and served with pasta, or on a sandwich. Nahda store customer can also enjoy free delivery on orders above 100 AED, so don’t miss out on this opportunity and check out the latest discount available on El-Nahda store.
Halloumi Cheese recipes
Halloumi cheese can be used in a variety of ways, however, its famously known in recipes that require grilling or frying, as halloumi cheese doesn’t not burn as fast as cheddar cheese for example, due to its high melting point. So, lets discover together the many ways you can use halloumi cheese.
This recipe is for people who enjoy vegetarian meals, this recipe is very easy to make of total time of 30 minutes and is full of nutrition and delightful flavours.
- 1 tablespoon shawarma paste or spice blend
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 block halloumi, cut into thin slices
- ½ cucumber, diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 150g hummus
- 150g yogurt
- Mint leaves
- 3 large flatbreads, warmed
- Preheat the grill to high heat. Brush the halloumi with the shawarma paste and lemon juice mixture. Spread out on a baking tray for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, season the cucumber, tomatoes, and red onion with the oil. Combine the hummus and yoghurt.
- Grill the halloumi until golden and sizzling, turning once.
- Swirl the hummus yoghurt between three plates. Sprinkle the salad with the mint and top with the hot halloumi. Warm flatbreads are ideal for scooping
Halloumi mixed grill
This recipe is based on halloumi having a high boiling point and its ability to stand the burning heat of frying oils. In this recipe pan-fried halloumi cheese is combined with different and mouthwatering ingredients to provide a tasty and nutritious dish.
- olive oil
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- Chopped thyme leaves
- Mushrooms to add flavor
- 3 vine tomatoes, halved
- 2 sliced sourdoughs
- 250g block halloumi, sliced
- 100g spinach
- ½ peeled, stoned, and sliced avocado
- chilli sauce, to serve
- Mix 3 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, and thyme Preheat the grill to medium/high heat.
- Season the mushrooms and tomatoes with the garlic oil. Grill until the mushrooms are tender and the tomatoes are soft but firm.
- Brush more oil on the sourdough bread and grill until golden.
- In a dry nonstick frying pan, brown the halloumi slices on both sides.
- When everything is done, quickly wilt the spinach in the remaining oil. Serve with the sliced avocado and chilli sauce on warm plates.
Halloumi, spinach, and tahini salad
This quick and easy halloumi, spinach, and tahini salad is ideal for lunch or a light evening meal and only takes 25 minutes to prepare. The soft greens and nutty tahini complement the salty halloumi beautifully.
- olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 small, crushed garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon dried mint
- a pinch ground turmeric
- 85g spinach
- 250g block halloumi, diced into cubes
- 40g raisins
- ½ small red onion, finely sliced
- The oven should be heated to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7. To make a dressing, combine 2 tsp of olive oil, the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, dried mint, turmeric, and 2 tbsp of water.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper, mix in the spinach, and let sit for 20 minutes to soften.
- Halloumi cubes should be tossed with an additional 2 teaspoons of oil, spread out on a baking sheet, and baked for 8 to 10 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Add the halloumi, red onion, and raisins to the greens, mix to combine, and serve right away.
This halloumi recipe is perfect for a night with family or friends while enjoying your favorite movie or TV show. This recipe is fun and easy to make and can be served either alone as a tasty snack or as a side dish to your favorite meals.
- frying oil
- 2 blocks halloumi, cut into fat chips
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ teaspoon of ras el hanout
- 100ml yoghurt
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 100g pomegranate seeds
- a handful mints
- A big frying pan with a shallow pool of oil should be heated. Before adding the halloumi to the pan, thoroughly pat it dry. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown on all sides.
- Place in a bowl, sprinkle with sumac, and toss.
- Add salt and combine the yoghurt and ras el hanout.
- Place the fries on a dish, top with the yoghurt and pomegranate molasses, then garnish with the mint and pomegranate seeds. Eat right away.
Now that we provided you with a brief guide on halloumi cheese’s origins and different recipes to use halloumi cheese, feel free to check out the latest offers on halloumi cheese on our online store, El-Nahda store.